Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Tobacco Free is not always Nicotine Free

Ireland aims to be tobacco-free by 2025

On October 1st, 2013, I quit smoking regular cigarettes.  It's been just two weeks now.
I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and never skipped a day.

People are addicted to tobacco products both physically and psychologically.
We all know tobacco has many harmful irritants and will cause diseases especially when inhaled.
So why does tobacco make people so addicted?  It's nicotine.

Nicotine is one chemical of tobacco, which is addictive.
Nicotine itself isn't such a harmful chemical, since tomato and eggplant naturally contains it.
However, it's a very addictive chemical.  People say that many prisoners may quit Heroin, but not smoking cigarettes.

My first strategy for quitting cigarettes is switching to alternative tobacco products(so far, electronic cigarettes, which contains nicotine) from regular cigarettes, in order to get out from my psychological addiction of smoking cigarettes.  I chose electronic cigarettes as my first alternative because that could be the closest habitual behavior to smoking regular cigarettes.

At last, eventually, I will face my physical addiction of nicotine.
After getting out from my psychological and habitual addiction of smoking cigarettes, I will reduce my nicotine level of alternative tobacco products and hopefully become truly Tobacco Free (and Nicotine Free) someday.


No comments: